Get the Facts
There's a lot of misinformation about dental benefits, and it's hard to decode what's true and what's fabricated. People often have their own misconceptions or get bad information or advice from friends. We're here to bust those myths and get the facts!
1. Myth: My Medicare plan already covers regular dental care.
Fact: Traditional Medicare does not cover dental. But Delta Dental of Iowa does. See how affordable Individual and Family dental plans can be for you and your family.
2. Myth: Dental insurance is too expensive and doesn’t cover much anyway.
Fact: Though it's true financial stress is the number one reason people opt out of dental coverage, insurance doesn't have to break the bank. Personal dental coverage may be more affordable than you think. The average cost of of a dental crown is more than $1,100.* To save on out-of-pocket costs, take advantage of affordable personal dental coverage from Delta Dental of Iowa. It cuts the costs of big items, plus cleanings and routine care are covered 100%.
* Delta Dental Dental Care Cost Estimator.
3. Myth: I have healthy teeth and really only need cleanings. It’s cheaper for me to pay out-of-pocket for cleanings than it is to have dental insurance.
Fact: As you age, your teeth continue to change. Even if you have routine cleanings and continue healthy dental habits, problems can still arise. If you wait until you have a dental emergency to get insurance, it may cost you thousands of dollars out-of-pocket.
4. Myth: I have health insurance, so dental care is covered.
Fact: Contrary to belief, health insurance doesn't always cover dental procedures. Dental and health benefits operate in different ways.
5. Myth: I can see any dentist I want now that I have dental benefits.
Fact: Though you're free to see any dental provider you please, your insurance may not cover treatments if a dentist is out-of-network. Find an in-network dentist before you schedule your appointment.
6. Myth: Dental insurance covers all treatments and procedures.
Fact: Insurance is designed to save you money, but there's no such thing as free coverage. Before you head to the dentist, make sure you understand what your benefit plan covers by reviewing your summary plan description or requesting a predetermination of benefits from your dentist. Please contact us if you have any questions about your plan coverage!
7. Myth: Delta Dental of Iowa only offers dental insurance.
Fact: We also offer vision insurance! Most Iowans know Delta Dental of Iowa provides comprehensive insurance coverage for dental care, but you might not know that we also offer DeltaVision for individuals, families and older Iowans who also have our dental coverage. Learn more about our individual and family vision coverage today.