Add Preventive Healthcare Appointments to your Wedding Checklist
Posted on July 26, 2021 in Healthy Living
If you are getting married this year, your to-do list is likely full of details like “call the florist” and “research honeymoons.” While you are busy planning all the intricate elements of your special day, don’t forget to check the box on the most important factor of your future – your health. By taking care of routine preventive appointments before your wedding, you’ll be able to fully enjoy your first months as a newlywed couple. Here are five tips from Delta Dental of Iowa to take care of before you say, “I do.”
- See your dentist: A healthy smile is a great start to your wedding preparations. A dental exam and a cleaning will help you feel confident when you walk down the aisle. Your dentist can identify signs of up to 120 chronic illnesses and potential mouth and gum issues. Planning a wedding can be stressful, so if you’ve been grinding your teeth at night, your dentist may recommend a nightguard to protect your teeth. BONUS TIP: If you are interested in cosmetic teeth whitening or perhaps getting your teeth straightened, your dentist can provide those treatments as well.
- Visit your optometrist: After the intense screen time many of us have endured over the last 18 months, you might have noticed your vision isn’t as crisp as it once was. Schedule an eye appointment to check for changes in your vision and make sure your contacts and glasses are the correct prescriptions. Your optometrist will perform a routine exam for your eye health so you can easily read those vows. BONUS TIP: Make sure to pack extra contact lenses, your eyeglasses and UV blocking sunglasses for your honeymoon.
- Get a physical: If you aren’t currently seeing your medical provider for an annual physical, this is a good time to start. Your provider will perform a routine exam, answer your questions and can identify any potential issues to be aware of going forward. BONUS TIP: Make sure all your prescriptions are updated and have all the refills you need to take along on your honeymoon.
- Check your insurance: If you are changing insurance when you get married, check to see if your dentist, optometrist and medical provider are still in your network. If not, find a new dental, vision and medical office and have your records transferred. You’ll want to check your coverage of your new insurance providers to determine what is covered and check for any gaps in coverage. BONUS TIP: Changing your name? Contact your insurance providers for updated insurance cards. Make sure you have a copy of your marriage license in-hand along with your updated identification in case there are any questions from medical offices or insurance providers.
- Pack your wedding emergency kit: Prepare a bag with items you might need the day of your wedding to take to the venue. You might not need any of the items, but you’ll be a little more at ease knowing you are prepared for anything that may happen. Along with stain sticks, deodorant, baby wipes, nail file, safety pins and Band-Aids, make sure you have your toothbrush, toothpaste, floss, breath mints, eye drops, extra contacts, medications, saline solution and sunglasses. BONUS TIP: Tuck your ID and insurance cards into your bag just in case.
The details of your wedding day will be easier to manage with the knowledge that you’ve made your health a priority. Schedule appointments today to see your dentist, optometrist, and medical provider before your wedding and take care of updating your insurance coverage as needed. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding from your friends at Delta Dental of Iowa!