Time’s up for the tube? A closer look at toothpaste tablets
The plastic tube of toothpaste has long been an essential piece of the at-home dental health kit. But after throwing away tube after tube of toothpaste, you may wonder if perhaps a more eco-minded option is available.
Toothpaste tablets in a nutshell
Toothpaste tablets are a lot like they sound: They are small, pill-sized tablets that are made of a toothpaste formula. They often contain some of the same ingredients as regular toothpaste, including baking soda and xylitol. However, some don't contain fluoride, which is an important ingredient for helping prevent tooth decay.
Using toothpaste tablets is simple, although it may take some time to get used to after years of traditional toothpaste. First, chew the toothpaste tablet and break it down into a paste. Take a sip of water if your mouth feels too dry. Once it’s a paste, use a wet toothbrush to clean your teeth as you normally would.
Pros and cons of toothpaste tablets
Wondering if you should ditch the tube for tablets? Here’s a quick look at the benefits and drawbacks to help you decide.
- Eco-friendly packaging
- Contain little or no preservatives
- Travel-friendly (a great option to take while camping or on a long-haul plane trip)
- Most toothpaste tablet brands contain natural ingredients.
- May not contain fluoride - an ingredient that helps prevent tooth decay.
- Because toothpaste tablets are a newer product, there’s not much research that compares how tablets compare to regular toothpaste. If you are using toothpaste tablets, make sure to let your dentist know.
- Toothpaste tablets cost more than traditional toothpaste.
Not all toothpaste tablets are created equal
You may be switching to a toothpaste tablet for environmental reasons, but remember that the primary goal of toothpaste is to help maintain your dental health. With that in mind, be sure to choose a toothpaste tablet that contains fluoride.
If you have questions about which toothpaste tablet brand, ask your dentist. He or she will recommend a product that is both eco-minded and effective.