Reducing Eye Irritation from Seasonal Allergies
Posted on May 7, 2020 in Vision Health
Spring is finally here and in full bloom, which means springtime allergies are here. We all have different reactions to spring allergies but one of those symptoms might be watery and irritated eyes, which are annoying and can get in the way of our everyday routines. Here’s a few tips to help reduce the effects of seasonal allergies on your eyes:
- Cold Compresses – A cool, dampened cloth can lessen eye irritation. Simply lay the rag over your closed eyes for 5-10 minutes.
- Limit Contact Lens Use – Wearing your glasses can reduce eye-allergy symptoms. The act of putting in and taking out contacts, increases our possible exposure to allergens. An investment in prescription sunglasses could be a wise buy so you can enjoy the springtime sun while giving your eyes a break.
- 20/20/20 Rule – Eye strain can also play a role in eye irritation. A common reason for eye strain is too much time spent looking at a computer screen. Next time you find yourself in this situation, take 20 seconds to look at an object 20 feet away for every 20 minutes of screen-time. For more tips on eye strain reduction, visit our blog.
- Shower Often –Pollen can make its way into your hair and follow you indoors, causing your eyes to be constantly exposed to the allergens. By showering regularly, you’ll get rid of any extra allergens.
- Limit Opening Your Windows – This one can be a bit more difficult because we’re all so eager to enjoy the fresh air! However, it is within this fresh air where unwanted allergens live. When reducing the amount of time your windows are open, you reduce the amount of pollen entering your home..
- Eye Drops and Nasal Sprays – These over the counter solutions can give your eyes and sinus tracts some help in flushing out any problem-causing allergens. There are multiple quality options of these products available at your local pharmacy. Before starting any medication, check with your physician.
Next time your eyes are suffering the effects of seasonal allergies, try out a few of these easy tips and tricks. For any additional vision questions, check out our website: https://www.deltadentalia.com/employers/vision/