5 Reasons to Floss like a Boss
Are you worried your dental hygienist will ask if you floss, or worse, they already know you don't? Your teeth and gums don't lie. Here are five reasons to change your ways and get in the habit of flossing like a boss.
1. Two is better than one – brush and floss together: The soft bristles on your toothbrush work to remove the sticky plaque on your teeth that can cause cavities. According to the American Dental Association, flossing helps clean the spaces between teeth.
2. Flossing protects your gums: Your teeth are attached to the bones in your jaw by the roots. They're protected and covered by the soft tissue of your gums. Small food particles can get caught in the tissue between your teeth. Plaque can build up and harden into tartar. Only a dentist or hygienist can remove tartar from teeth. If untreated, tartar and plaque will spread bacteria below the gum line, causing periodontitis, an acute form of gum disease.
3. You'll save money: By practicing regular preventive dental care, you may not need additional dental procedures that will cost you time and money. Be sure to see your dentist for cleanings and take advantage of the preventive care your insurance will cover.
4. Flossing helps prevent disease: Research has shown that the bacteria created in the mouth can spread to other parts of the body, which may lead to heart and lung disease and diabetes, among other illnesses. Flossing daily will help keep the bacteria at bay, leading to a healthier mouth and body.
5. Best of all – no bad breath: Flossing and brushing regularly will keep your breath sweet and your teeth healthy.
Here's a quick tutorial on how to floss. Start today!