Form Healthy Eating Habits
Habits can form at any age, but the sooner a behavior is adopted, the more likely it is to become a habit. While “habit” may sound negative, like a habit of nail biting or smoking, habits can also be good. In the case of nutrition, teaching your child healthy eating habits will contribute to a strong and healthy body and mouth!
Here are a few healthy eating habits that help minimize dental decay:
• Give your child foods that are rich in calcium and low in acids and sugars.
• Encourage your children to eat fruits, cheeses and drink milk. Milk and certain cheeses have been known to offer protection against tooth decay.
• Fresh fruits and vegetables, wholegrain cereals and lean meats are the best for your child's teeth.
• Do not give your child sugary snacks, cookies, dried fruit, carbonated drinks or sodas on a daily basis. An occasional treat is acceptable.
A healthy diet alone will not ensure that your child's teeth stay healthy. Good oral hygiene and regular dental checkups are also important to maintain healthy teeth. Make sure your child flosses once daily, brushes twice daily and pays a visit to their dentist twice a year.
Here is one recipe that kids will simply love. French toast is not only tooth-friendly, but also tasty. And even more, it is easy to make:
- • 1 Egg
• ¼ cup Milk
• 1-2 drops Vanilla extract
• 1 TBSP Margarine
• 2 Slices of bread
Crack the egg into a medium-size bowl and beat well. Stir in milk and vanilla extract.
Melt margarine in a frying pan on medium high until it begins to bubble. Dip each slice of bread into the egg mixture, allowing it to soak up some of the mixture. Turn heat to low and cook bread for about 5 minutes. Once browned, flip and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
Voila, You have your yummy French toast!
To keep your French toast tooth-friendly, remember not to smother it in syrup. Syrup, powdered sugar and other sugary toppings will transform this healthy dish into something very bad for your teeth! Try using fresh fruit or sugar-free jam as an equally satisfying topping.