Make Dental Health Fun
Dental disease does not have mercy on anyone, even our youngest citizens! Cavities can make it difficult for a child to eat, grow and attend school. The good news is that cavities are nearly 100% preventable.
We want to make it as easy as possible for you to teach your children about good oral health habits.
The key is to make it fun. Here are some ideas to try:
- Develop a fun ritual around brushing. Sing a song about brushing teeth or 'brush' the teeth of your child's stuffed animals.
- Place a stepstool near the sink counter that allows your child to see the basin.
- Have fun choosing a cool toothbrush. Let your child pick from the great selection of colors, characters and gizmos available today.
- Grab your own toothbrush and brush with energy. Show your children just how fun it is to brush – they'll want in on the fun.
- Create a calendar that children can use to document how often they brush their teeth, a certificate of achievement from the Tooth Fairy, fun stickers and coloring sheets.
By playing a positive, active role, you can encourage your children to learn good habits for a lifetime of oral health.
For a fun oral health activity, try this great Activity Sheet from the American Dental Association.
Do you have any tips for teaching your child healthy habits? Leave them in the comments below.