Stay Ahead of the Appointment Rush
Posted on May 11, 2023 in Kid's Health
While you’re finalizing your family’s busy summer plans, be sure to schedule the kids for their annual preventive exams. Putting them on the schedule now will ensure you beat the rush that commonly happens in late summer. Making regular dental and vision exams is important for catching problems early and avoiding long-term health issues.
In Iowa, there are several grade-based healthcare requirements for children. These milestone appointments can include dental screenings, vision screenings, and sports physicals. Be sure to ask your school what’s required at each grade so you can stay on top of those important appointments.
In addition to regular exams, there are some preventive care measures to consider keeping your kiddos healthy and safe through the summer and into the school year. Here are a few preventive care recommendations:
- Dental sealants – protect your child’s molars from tooth decay with this quick, easy treatment.
- Custom-fitted mouthguards – avoid costly mouth injuries during sports activities by investing in a protective mouthguard.
- Sports goggles – prevent sports-related eye injuries by wearing eye protection during activities if your eye doctor recommends.
- Limit screen time – discuss best practices for screen time with your optometrist and ask them how to watch for signs of eye strain.
- Mental health – discuss concerns about mental wellness with your child’s medical provider. This could include ADHD, anxiety, depression, or suicidal ideation.
Create a routine
Regular preventive appointments are a great way to help your child establish a level of comfort with his or her healthcare providers. Building positive relationships helps minimize anxiety when going to exams and provides a safe environment for asking questions.
Be sure to take advantage of the upcoming summer break to check your kids’ preventive exams off the to-do list early. Then, sit back and enjoy the rest of the summer with your happy and healthy family.