Orthodontic Services (Braces)
The hawk-i program covers orthodontic services. Coverage for braces is only available if it is considered medically necessary. Additionally, you must see a participating hawk-i orthodontic network dentist. To find a participating hawk-i orthodontic network dentist, follow the steps below:
- Go to the hawk-i Dentist Search.
- Enter your zip code or city.
- Select "Search."
- Click on "Expand Search Criteria" from the hawk-i Dentist Search Results page.
- Select "Orthodontist" from the Specialty dropdown menu.
- Then select "Search Again."
Please note, dentists will be listed as "hawk-i Ortho" under the Plans Accepted section. Be sure to confirm with your dentist that they participate in the hawk-i orthodontic network.
Orthodontic treatment for cosmetic reasons is not covered. Below are some scenarios of when orthodontic services may or may not be covered:
- Your middle-school-age child has a significant overbite with several teeth out of position that makes it difficult for him or her to chew. This condition may harm your child's health. So, it may be considered for coverage. Talk with your dentist to find out more.
- Your middle-school age child is embarrassed of his or her smile because of crooked teeth but the jaws are acceptably aligned. This condition is not an immediate health concern. It does not qualify for the coverage.
To find a dentist for braces, visit the Find a Dentist page.