In An Emergency
Virtual Visits delivered by TeleDentistry.com
Delta Dental of Iowa DWP, DWP Kids and Hawki members benefits include access to TeleDentistry.com. These virtual visits are a safe way to receive dental care and avoid the emergency room. Use Delta Dental – Virtual Visits when you:
- Have a dental emergency and do not have a regular dentist.
- Need access to a dentist after hours if your dentist is not available.
Get started on your teledentistry visit or call 866-302-0443. Have your DWP card or Medicaid ID number available. If you have additional questions, please see our FAQs.
*TeleDentistry.com services are only available to current Delta Dental of Iowa DWP, DWP Kids and Hawki members.
What to do in an emergency
Below are a few common dental emergencies and what you should do.
- Toothaches: A sore tooth can hurt. Try washing your mouth with warm salt water and taking an over the counter pain medication. Contact your dentist for an appointment as soon as possible.
- Lost Tooth: If a permanent tooth is knocked out, time is of the essence. Your dentist may be able to re-implant the tooth. In order to give you the best chance, call your dentist immediately and try and get into to see them within one half hour. Transport your tooth in a glass of milk if available. If not, a glass of salt water will do.
- Broken or Fractured Jaw: If you have a broken jaw, you will likely feel pain in your face or jaw and have swelling and bruising. Your jaw may not work properly and you may notice misaligned teeth. To control swelling, apply a cold compress. Stabilize the jaw using a bandage wrapped beneath the jaw and tied on top of the head and get to the nearest emergency room quickly.
It is important to remember in an emergency situation to try to keep calm and get to the nearest dentist or doctor immediately.